Dr Mohan Samarasinghe
In this article
Consultant Surgeon in Gastroenterology
MBBS(Col) MRCS(Edin) MD GI Surgery(Col)
Dr Mohan graduated from Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka in Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) with Honours and later graduated in MD Surgery from Post Graduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka & winning the Gold Medal for best clinical knowledge and skills.
He obtained comprehensive and intense training in basic gastro-intestinal surgical training locally followed by specialist training in colo-rectal diseases, minimally invasive surgery (TATME/TAMiS/SILS), perianal and pelvic floor disorders, inflammatory bowel diseases and advanced surgical techniques at St Marks Academic Institute, attached to St Marks Hospital, London, UK, and obtained Metabolic and Briatric training in Vienna - Austria with IFSO.
“Dr Vrasapillai Gabriel Memorial Gold Medal for Surgery” for the best performance at MD (Surgery) Examination, Post Graduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo held in June 2014.
- Advanced abdominal surgical procedures and Cutting edge techniques in minimally invasive surgical options
- High quality diagnostic and theraputic endoscopic procedures
- Oncologically sound surgical management of GI malignancies
- Surgical management and followup on inflammatory bowel disease with emphasis on bowel sparing surgery and continuity restorative surgery
- Metabolic and bariatric surgey with emphasis on low complication rates and high reversibility while achieving optimum excess weight loss
- State-of-the-art solutions for perianal conditions with emphasis on continence preservation
- Proctocolectomy for persistent haematochezia in a patient with Cronkhite-Canada Syndrome N Wijekoon, M Samarasinghe, U Dalpatadu, N Nuzair, P Pratheepan, and D Samarasekera. J Surg Case Rep. 2012 Oct; 2012(10): 6. Published online 2012 Oct 1. doi: 10.1093/jscr/2012.10.6
- Evaluating effect of papaw pulp on debridement of acute diabetic wounds: a pilot study. (In Press – Journal of wound care http://www.magonlinelibrary.com/toc/jowc/current)
- Effect of a female labour companion and of educating her regarding support during labour on perinatal and labour outcomes. Senanayake, H.M., Somawardana, U.A.B.P. & Samarasinghe, M., Sri Lanka Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. (2014) 35(4), pp.112–115. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/sljog.v35i4.6584
- Editorial Committee Member of the book titled ‘Hand Book for Medical Interns’ jointly published by Ministry of health – Sri Lanka, Medical Education Development and Research Unit (MEDARC) – Faculty of Medicine – Colombo and Government Medical Officers’ Association in 2013.
- Editorial Board Member of the book titled ‘Establishment of a Specialist Registry & Introduction of an Evaluation Procedure for Foreign Medical Specialists – Procedure to ensure safe medical care’ jointly published by Ministry of Health – Sri Lanka and Government Medical Officers’ Association in 2012.
- Editor of the book titled ‘Insight to Medical Internship – Guide to Successful Internship’, jointly published by Ministry of health – Sri Lanka and Government Medical Officers’ Association in 2012.
- Evolution & New Trends of Restoration following Proctocolectomy. Samarasinghe MH, Review Grand rounds - St Mark’s Hospital - London UK 2016.
- Hypochlorite, papaw pulp, and tetrachlorodecaoxide: Aprotocol for diabetic wound management in local setting. M H Samarasinghe, P Pratheepan, D N Samarasekera. Free paper. Academic Sessions of the College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka. August 2012.
- How to build your own laparoscopy simulator. M H Samarasinghe, D N Samarasekera. Academic Sessions of the College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka. August 2012.
- Intraoperative identification of parathyroids – A determinant of post thyroidectomy hypoparathyridism? Samarasinghe MH, Pratheepan P, Sivaganesh S. Free paper. Academic Sessions of the College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka. August 2011.
- Should flexible sigmoidoscopy be used in the routine evaluation of fistula in ano and haemorrhoids?; A single unit experience. NS Wijekoon, MH Samarasinghe, P Pratheepan, U Dalpadadu, DN Samarasekera. Academic Sessions of the College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka. 2011.